Saturday, August 16, 2014

Hand spinning


So I purchased a drop spindle and two lengths of fiber along with the Respect the Spindle book.  I'm very excited to start learning a new craft.  I figure if I can get good before we get our sheep I will be able to make blankets from my own hand spun yarn.  I mean what a wonderful gift I could give to family.  And perhaps sell some too :).  I also started looking into growing cotton today.  Hubby didn't know if it would grow in Texas... Well Texas is actually the biggest grower of cotton.  And it comes in different colors!  Oh man how exciting.  I really feel that everything I grow should be exciting and fun and have a purpose.  Even if that seems silly to others its my main philosophy behind our farming adventure.  Not sure where I will put my cotton field but since cotton doesn't like wet feet (wet ground) then I won't have to worry about irrigation the same as I do for the rest of the garden.  So it can be out further from the house.  I also plane to harvest it by hand.  Must remember to wear gloves.  We won't grow enough to warrant the big picker machines.  It also means I have to pick the seeds out by hand.  But the more we do by hand the better for us and cheaper.  Plus I don't need all those fancy machines to do this.  Just some good old hard work.  So yeah keep reading and watching because the next year should bring lots of exciting things and probably some heartache too.  I'm sure things will fail and things will succeed.  But that is the joys of starting this adventure.  Not everything we try will succeed the first time.  But we will get better with each planting and every year that we keep at it.  My research suggests we may never make enough money that hubby can quit his job and be a full time farmer but maybe we can come close.  And our retirement years will for sure be full of farming.

No comments:

Post a Comment