Saturday, August 2, 2014

Fiber, yarn, sheep

So we are looking to get sheep.  Partly because the hubby likes lamb to eat.  And partly because I love to crochet.  And lets be honest an afghan is not cheap to make.  On average a full size afghan runs about $60 to make.  And that is just for the yarn.  It doesn't include the hours spent working on it.  Which I don't mind doing the work.  But I would love to save some money on my wonderful hobby.  And what better way to do that than to make my own yarn.  You can get fiber from many animals such as llama, alpaca, goats, and sheep.  We are looking to get some Shetland sheep sometime next summer.  They are one of the few breads that we can Roo instead of shear.  Unfamiliar with the term... yes I was too.  So let me explain.  Rooing is when you "pull" the wool/fiber from the sheep when it is already coming off.  Not all animals do this though.  The other reason we are choosing the Shetland is that the meat is supposed to be the best tasting.  And who doesn't want to eat the best :).  Today at Barnes & Noble I was looking for a book about caring for sheep.  I didn't have any luck but the nice lady who was helping me found this wonderful book on fiber and spinning.  It has so much information I can't wait to read it cover to cover.  The  goal is to eventually make/purchase a drop spindle and spin my own yarn.  The book even covers how to dye fiber.  I can also make washcloths, hats and scarfs.  Maybe someday I will be good enough to sell my wares.  Until then it will just be a fun hobby :).  Top picture is a hat I made for my youngest while pregnant and the bottom picture is a current blanket I am working on.  Fun projects both of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment