Monday, September 7, 2015

First major farm loss


We lost our first big farm animal last week.  Sadly it was our little heifer calf that we were planning to keep and breed next spring/fall 2016.  We aren't sure what happened.  She was seemingly fine at breakfast and by night feed she was on the ground and died about 90 mins after I found her.  It was for sure hard, hubby was out of town, so I was at home with the kids trying to figure out what to do.  I proved to myself that I am able to handle this farm life we chose.  I was able to pull myself together, dispose of her and still get up the next morning and take care of the other animals.  Had to put my big girl panties on, life and death are all part of being a farmer.  Not every animal we bring on the farm is going to stay and not every animal is going to survive.  It is sadly the way of farm life and one that we are having to learn quickly.  I have proven to myself that I can do it, and while it is hard and unpleasant, I have mustered through it.  We are already planning to get a nurse cow in the Spring (unless we manage to do it sooner) and possibly a couple more calves after these are weaned and on solid food. 

No comments:

Post a Comment